trashcansinatras.com

trashcansinatras.com message boards

Skip to content

Burns Night Substitutions

general discussions and questions about the band or anything else that comes to mind

Burns Night Substitutions

Postby DifferentFrank » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:16 pm

We have people coming over on the 25th. Not for a Burns night dinner, but I would like serve something Scottish. No way in hell I can get the pluck to make a haggis, so I am resigned to serve other splendid dishes.

Suggestions? (What do the TCS who reside in the states do? Do they even observe?)
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Re: Burns Night Substitutions

Postby rhetor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Don't know where haggis gets its bad rep from...I love it, and have even dared to serve it to guests of various backgrounds, the vast majority of them have loved it! But if you want something delicious that is a little tamer, maybe try cranachan for dessert...A perennial favourite in my home too.
rhetor

Postby morpethmackem » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:33 pm

what about black pudding ? or can you not get it In the states ( if you can try and get stornaway )
morpethmackem

Postby DifferentFrank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:05 pm

There is NO aversion to haggis in our house... We still remember our first, at a restaurant called Flaming Red Dining Room, over by the Haymarket Station. They seem to be no longer there (the web tells me they were at 63 Dalry Road). Sure the ingredient list can be off-putting, but I've made my own sausage and am not a stranger to intestines.

That cranachan looks good... A show stopper! (I wonder if I can find an ice cream recipe that works in orange marmalade...)

I also remember eating mussels from the Firth back in 1990 but I couldn't tell you if the recipe was unique. May resort to some kind of lamb stew or salmon as an entree.

Black pudding? I've seen it here, and bought it, but I can't remember where... Perhaps in an Eastern European/Russian butcher. Good suggestion.

Thanks to you both, and any others which are forthcoming.
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Postby DifferentFrank » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 pm

I also hear that you can make a wonderful dip out of Irn Bru and sour cream, with bits of gorse stems, like chives. :wink:
DifferentFrank

Postby morpethmackem » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

well just had some haggis tonight as out on Saturday night, and very nice too. going to celebrate with coronation street and west brom v everton .
morpethmackem

Postby DifferentFrank » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 pm

I think our entree will be a pork tenderloin with an orange marmalade sauce.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/gr ... ade_glaze/
DifferentFrank

Postby DifferentFrank » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:54 pm

A jar of heather honey arrived today, through Amazon. It's viscosity is astonishing. I saw a pic online of it in a glass on its side, barely flowing. Wow... Went back an hour later, and so far as I could tell it hadn't budged a bit.

Nyuk, nyuk.

I suppose it's viscosity is a bigger reason for its inclusion than its taste. True?
DifferentFrank

Postby DifferentFrank » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks to all for the dinner suggestions. Our entree was a pork tenderloin in an orange marmalade glaze (with additional marmalade on the side, as we thought other ingredients in the glaze muted the marmalade [soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar]); a guest brought a salad; and my wife made a mashed turnip-potato casserole called "Orkney Clapshot," from the cookbook "Scottish Cookery," by Catherine Brown (wife added some kale, for color). (The edition we have of it was a 1989 paperback, and I can't guarantee it's in subsequent editions.) Dessert was cranachan.

Regrettably the cranachan didn't go over nearly as well as I'd hoped. Some of the guests just aren't culturally into an alcohol taste in their dessert, and the Talisker may have been too smokey. And the recipe I chose (from epicurious) really didn't have the show-stopping presentation (too few layers). But I liked it, and I'll serve it again, more selectively, and using a different recipe.
DifferentFrank

Postby rhetor » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Good to hear, Different Frank. And keep trying the recipes for cranachan...There are many many variations out there on the theme. Same with clapshot, or "neeps and tatties", for that matter.
rhetor

Postby DifferentFrank » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Given that Spotted Dick is a dessert, and clapshot a side, one might wonder if their order in the menu is reversed. I can't be the first to have noticed this... I will have to go further into the dish names to better design the arc of the silly comedy routine.
DifferentFrank

Return to message board