Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/josdim2/trashcansinatras.com/forums/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3715: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3716: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
trashcansinatras.com • View topic - Another question but for EACH member of the band........

trashcansinatras.com

trashcansinatras.com message boards

Skip to content

Another question but for EACH member of the band........

general discussions and questions about the band or anything else that comes to mind

Another question but for EACH member of the band........

Postby sleepypoliceman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:01 pm

I have a nagging question for each and every member of the band. I have seen comments/posts made by you guys regarding other artists music and what you like about a particular song. So I guess my question is what is your favorite song that you as a band have produced wether it be the lyrics, the instrumental aspect of it, the meaning of the words(should they relate to an experience) or all of the above. I could tell you my favorite song of yours but thats no fun. Please enlighten us! 8)
sleepypoliceman

Re: Another question but for EACH member of the band........

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 pm

That's a toughie. But the song that all round always does it for me is Orange Fell. I love the words, and the recording has so many things that just work for me (the squeaky chair, the backwards guitar through a Leslie in the second verse, the lyrical drum fills in the end section, the 12 string that joins in at the end, Frank's weird run up before the very end, and that last chord!). I wish we could get Ray Shulman back for another album. Man, was he good!
Paul

Postby sleepypoliceman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am

Paul wrote:That's a toughie. But the song that all round always does it for me is Orange Fell. I love the words, and the recording has so many things that just work for me (the squeaky chair, the backwards guitar through a Leslie in the second verse, the lyrical drum fills in the end section, the 12 string that joins in at the end, Frank's weird run up before the very end, and that last chord!). I wish we could get Ray Shulman back for another album. Man, was he good!

Thanks Paul for disecting the song a bit. A beautiful piece I must agree.
sleepypoliceman

Postby j.r.douglas » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:08 pm

very tough.. impossible, in fact.. my opinion would be different every time... today's favourite would be "The Perfect Reminder" written, played and sung by Paul. It reminds me of the late night bus journey from the Irvine pubs to our Kilmarnock studio. Our 'I've Seen Everything' period is one I look back on fondly.. we had returned from long USA and UK tours and had become a confident and powerful band so when we took to the studio or to the page it was with a lot less of our previous insecurities. We revelled in our own character and Paul's song exemplifies that atitude.
j.r.douglas

Postby sleepypoliceman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am

j.r.douglas wrote:very tough.. impossible, in fact.. my opinion would be different every time... today's favourite would be "The Perfect Reminder" written, played and sung by Paul. It reminds me of the late night bus journey from the Irvine pubs to our Kilmarnock studio. Our 'I've Seen Everything' period is one I look back on fondly.. we had returned from long USA and UK tours and had become a confident and powerful band so when we took to the studio or to the page it was with a lot less of our previous insecurities. We revelled in our own character and Paul's song exemplifies that atitude.

Nice! The song is too short though. Just when you start to enjoy a song it comes to an abrupt end......Sadness! :(
sleepypoliceman

Postby DifferentFrank » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm

My initial reaction to the idea of not having a set, firm opinion of what constituted one's favorite was surprise: I mean, although I work in a different industry (marketing research) I thought I'd have no problem identifying the best analysis I ever did. But on reflection I decided to pull that reply, because I remembered it's perfectly reasonable for someone to waver in their selection of some other artist's best, and therefore it's perfectly reasonable to waver in what you consider your own best... different works have different advantages, and the choice might vary according to what you consider important at the time if you're the sort who varies their priorities as they seek variety.

But I myself can point to a specific report and say it was my best, or a song I wrote and say it was my best. The danger, as I said in my pulled post, is that the characteristics of what you identify as your best become a model, and you start to make the characteristics a goal rather than making the overall outcome the goal. It's like the guy who only has castanets: after a while every song starts to be written with a Flamenco feel.
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Postby phil spector » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:26 am

DifferentFrank wrote:My initial reaction to the idea of not having a set, firm opinion of what constituted one's favorite was surprise: I mean, although I work in a different industry (marketing research) I thought I'd have no problem identifying the best analysis I ever did. But on reflection I decided to pull that reply, because I remembered it's perfectly reasonable for someone to waver in their selection of some other artist's best, and therefore it's perfectly reasonable to waver in what you consider your own best... different works have different advantages, and the choice might vary according to what you consider important at the time if you're the sort who varies their priorities as they seek variety.

But I myself can point to a specific report and say it was my best, or a song I wrote and say it was my best. The danger, as I said in my pulled post, is that the characteristics of what you identify as your best become a model, and you start to make the characteristics a goal rather than making the overall outcome the goal. It's like the guy who only has castanets: after a while every song starts to be written with a Flamenco feel.

Nae offence DifferentFrank, but this reads like the sort of gobbledegook that regularly gets caught in the spam filter on my blog.
www.plainorpan.com
phil spector

Postby DifferentFrank » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:11 pm

phil spector wrote:
Nae offence DifferentFrank, but this reads like the sort of gobbledegook that regularly gets caught in the spam filter on my blog.

Interesting technology.
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Return to message board