trashcansinatras.com

trashcansinatras.com message boards

Skip to content

When/Where did you discover the Trashcan Sinatras?

general discussions and questions about the band or anything else that comes to mind

Re: When/Where did you discover the Trashcan Sinatras?

Postby spgil75 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I remember, in the early 90's, seeing the video for Only Tongue Can Tell on MTV's 120 minutes and loving the song though I didn't bother to buy Cake at the time. Fast forward to maybe '99 or 2000 and I don't know why but the melody of that song popped into my head one day while working at my old job (a group home). I remembered who it was by but couldn't remember the title. I searched on Kazaa or one of those music downloading applications and ended up downloading random TCS songs (including Hayfever which blew me away) looking for the song I had in my head and along the way ended up loving what I heard. That made me go out and buy all the albums/cd's and they became one of my top five favorite bands of all time. I grew up loving bands like the Smiths, and still do, but there's something about the Trashcan Sinatras music that connects with me more. I can't really describe it though some of their songs bring out this feeling (not to be too dramatic here), almost an ache, similar to the feeling of being in love. I've made copies of their cd's for close friends and they've all loved the music as well. I've Seen Everything is one of my favorite albums of all time, by any band and, to me, is cruelly underrated.
spgil75

Postby In Irvine we trust » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Beat this then! Went to see Prefab Sprout, with my wife, at the Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool, in October 1990. My wife was pregnant at the time and was feeling rather queasy as we waited for Paddy McAloon to appear. As we discussed the benefits of going outside to grab some air, the support band appeared and the rest is history! I was completely blown away by the sound and the crowd response was bordering on mass hysteria. Yes, the place was truly rocking! My wife returned from outside (yes, I allowed her to pop outside alone - how could I leave?), just in time to hear the end of the set. She was also impressed by this 'unknown' band, as was my daughter, Alexandra, who was born 5 months later! She had obviously picked up the vibes and she has remained a dedicated fan to this day - She's 21, next year. Memories of a truly wonderful night.
In Irvine we trust

Postby sleepypoliceman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

In Irvine we trust wrote:Beat this then! Went to see Prefab Sprout, with my wife, at the Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool, in October 1990. My wife was pregnant at the time and was feeling rather queasy as we waited for Paddy McAloon to appear. As we discussed the benefits of going outside to grab some air, the support band appeared and the rest is history! I was completely blown away by the sound and the crowd response was bordering on mass hysteria. Yes, the place was truly rocking! My wife returned from outside (yes, I allowed her to pop outside alone - how could I leave?), just in time to hear the end of the set. She was also impressed by this 'unknown' band, as was my daughter, Alexandra, who was born 5 months later! She had obviously picked up the vibes and she has remained a dedicated fan to this day - She's 21, next year. Memories of a truly wonderful night.

You suck! HA HA just kidding! I am jealous you got to see the Sinatras and Sprouts together! Thats just bitchin!!!!
sleepypoliceman

Postby funklord » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:56 am

For me it was hearing Only Tongue Can Tell on KROQ back when I was in high school. Though I didn't connect it to a particular band immediately. I'm pretty sure I told this story on this forum before, but one of my friends started responding to all lectures from teachers that he needed to shape up with, "Well, I've learned my lesson; I'm a better person." I finally had to ask him where that came from since it sounded so familiar, and his sister standing next to him said, "The Trash! Can! Sinatras!" However it took a family move to smallish town Wisconsin, a 40 minute drive to the only place I could find decent music in order to by New Order's Republic when, hey, there's another Trash Can Sinatras album called I've Seen Everything I should buy too that completely sealed it.
funklord

Postby thebookiesbible » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:09 pm

At the very opulent Castlepark Community Centre in Irvine. Someone, who years later I became great friends with, apparently loaned the band his guitar that night. I've no idea if that is true but it seemed to be his 'claim to fame' moment. Must've been around '88, possibly even before Paul joined.
I vaguely remember a band called the Stogbags playing too.
thebookiesbible

Postby graemetcs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Read a review in the Daily Record which had OTCT as the single of the year and in the accompanying picture of the band I recognised Paul as we had went to the same school.

Bought Cake out of a mix of interest and guilt - the guilt part being as a couple of years earlier I had said I would come along to show some support at a very very early gig (pre TCS days) at the Golf Hotel in Irvine. My plans to go to the gig took a wee twist though as a girl that I fancied at the time turned up at my door for a chat and hey ho boys will be boys.

If my memory serves me right Bigmouth Strikes Again by the Smiths was to be played but maybe Paul can remind us how the solo goes!
graemetcs

Postby thebookiesbible » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:39 pm

graemetcs wrote:.... the guilt part being as a couple of years earlier I had said I would come along to show some support at a very very early gig (pre TCS days) at the Golf Hotel in Irvine...

That sounds as though it was when Paul was in the Shock Club. The Golf was known back then as the Grange. Pretty sure that gig was in support of a band called Easter Parade.

1986 - Happy days!
thebookiesbible

Postby graemetcs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Jeeso the Grange it was, I'd forgotten about that. Still whatever it was called he forgot the guitar solo and improvised with a bit of U2 style scrape guitar. Paul was always a secret Edge fan anyway.
graemetcs

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh wow.
thebookiesbible - I'm pretty sure that was the night I met Frank for the first time. I joined the band the next day. Musta been '87.
graemetcs - I forgot the solo?!? I don't know what you're talking about. Haha! That was my first ever gig - hated it! But Easter Parade was John's band, so it all worked out well.
Paul

Postby Linty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:40 pm

I knew George. Lived round the road from him. I think he let me listen to an early tape.
Linty

Postby mabatz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Introduced to them by my high school girlfriends' college boyfriend (now husband) in 1990. One listen and I was hooked! At the time, I thought that they could rival The Smiths as my all-time favorite band, and have since surpassed them as just that!
mabatz

Postby ShafferGeek » Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm a latecomer to the TCS scene. My DH got a track from Weightlifting on his Launchcast station (remember several years back pre-Pandora, when Launchcast was the customizable streaming music station?). He went to locate them on Rhapsody to play for me. All that was there was Cake and I've Seen Everything. I was well and truly hooked -- played it all a lot, but was addicted to Worked a Miracle. This must have been 2004-ish, just after Weightlifting was released.

I listened on and off for several years. It was the tour in early 2010 that I wanted to make a show, but cash flow was tight. Regretted not setting something aside, so I made plans to make the late 2010 show. Well, the two that were within five hours of me were both on nights where we had conflicts I couldn't get past. Finally made it to Dayton in 2011...met the band (most of 'em)...and the addiction has grown to the point where I don't make it more than a day or two without a listen to something (this morning, had a craving for In Capitals, which is still stuck in my head).

Yeah, you guys probably didn't need to know all that. ;^P
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks."
ShafferGeek

Previous

Return to message board