trashcansinatras.com

trashcansinatras.com message boards

Skip to content

What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

general discussions and questions about the band or anything else that comes to mind

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Postby DifferentFrank » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:40 pm

I recently bought the reissue of the Jam's Sound Effects. It's really nice to compare how much better the CD mastering has gotten with the years, it's so much better in the new release than it was in the huge box which collected everything.

A couple good friends gave me some Sister Rosetta Tharpe for my birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Rosetta_Tharpe

I already knew of her through a PBS show (public television in America) that highlighted her and showed her on tour in the UK, doing a concert on a rail platform, with the audience in seats on the opposite platform. The music is really really good -- it's like Mahalia with a beat -- and I'm really pleased.
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Postby DifferentFrank » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Yegads, I completely forgot to tell you about Saint Agnes!

http://saintagnes.bandcamp.com/

Our daughter is studying in London this semester and happened upon them one night on an organized pub crawl (same venue also had Saint Raymond playing... how far can that go?) and made a special point to call them out to me. Great "classic" rock influences like T. Rex, and you have to tip your hat to a duo that isn't too intimidated to cover the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues." (Well, I can't speak for how highly the Doors are emulated worldwide, but a lot of people would just not go there.)

Their name-your-price EP (see link above) only has four tunes on it, so naturally it's a selective set. I look forward to more.
"If an epicure could remove by a wish, in quest of sensual gratifications, wherever he had supped he would breakfast in Scotland." - Johnson
DifferentFrank

Postby tcsboy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I've just found Gary Lightbody's sideband Tired Pony. They say it is supposed to be more folksy, but I think Snow Patrol could pull it off.

Also, I'd like to thank those who recommended Stornoway. A brilliant band.

I love this list. It has a few gems I didn't know about.
I'm looking on the bright side, but I still don't see the light!
tcsboy

Postby cjelephant » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:19 pm

I have just finished about a solid week of listening to nothing but the Clash's 1st album

This is Joe Public speaking...I'm controlled in the body and controlled in the mind
cjelephant

Postby DifferentFrank » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

We saw We Were Promised Jetpacks at Webster Hall on Saturday night. They were exactly as expected, and I could only have been more pleased had my wife enjoyed them more.

I can't help but mention, though, that Paul Williams was at the next table in our restaurant. A really fine songwriter (multiple top ten hits for the Carpenters and Three Dog Night) and even won a Grammy this year (he's something like 70) for his work with Daf Punk. (We didn't bother him.)
DifferentFrank

Postby rhetor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Real Estate, Atlas. Good and jangly, with a relaxed vibe.
rhetor

Postby DifferentFrank » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Honeyblood... We saw them open for We Were Promised Jetpacks, and I was very enthused. Finally their CD is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwoAjyUP1E

They seem to be Glaswegians, yet sing not like Glaswegians speak, according to the vid of the person doing 17 different Brit accents.
DifferentFrank

Postby Jez Needham » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 am

GAEL FAURE

Just been on holiday in France and this beauty was on the radio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K6CqMJz3ZA

as was his 1st single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OR_GuYo2AM

Bought the album and despite my french being A'level standard, it's an album of beauty! I recommend it to the TCS community. It will be, as they say ' right up your alley'
Jez Needham

Postby cjelephant » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Johnny Marr's brilliant album: The Messenger

With the incredibly catchy tune New Town Velocity

http://youtu.be/SXEc9WZ1bkY
cjelephant

Postby DifferentFrank » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:36 am

Kicks, by Paul Revere & the Raiders...

Just received an Australian import (Raven records) of five of their mid-60's albums on 2 CDs. They were actually pretty good: don't get distracted by the uniforms, a lot of bands had ruffled shirts and uniforms in those days, and it's not like they were going to dress up as silversmiths.
DifferentFrank

Postby DifferentFrank » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Friday night we saw Carbon Leaf at City Winery in NYC (one of the few venues in NYC where we can sit down). It was our third time seeing them, and I think it was the best of the 3 shows we'd seen. They'd tinkered a little with their "expected" songs, which was helpful (imagine what it's like for a long time Kinks fan to sit through a rote performance of Lola).

A personal pleasure for me is that my favorite song of theirs isn't always in their set lists, but because its topic interfaces well with Veteran's Day (November 11) I requested this in advance through Twitter, and they came through. And they didn't phone it in, it was 7 minutes out of their 1:45 set, and placed intelligently in the arc of the set.

Here it is from a different show... "The War Was In Color"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jTX_ACgLxI
DifferentFrank

Postby Spartans » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Larkin Poe album Kin. Saw the band in Newcastle. Best gig I have been to in ages. Bonny girls too.
Spartans

Postby rhetor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Beach House, Bloom. A bit like dreaming you are listening to a pop album while floating on your back down some tropical stream...
rhetor

Postby rhetor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Noonday Underground, Surface Noise. And before that, Jordan Klassen, Javelins. Both excellent Sunday albums.
rhetor

Previous

Return to message board